At least 13 killed, 120 wounded in Afghanistan car bomb attack
Afghanistan: car bomb blast in Ghor province kills 15 people
&# 171; Taliban&# 187; stated that the US is violating the agreement between them, the US military denied these accusations
ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN – A suicide bomber detonated a car bomb near a provincial police headquarters in central Afghanistan, killing at least 15 people and injuring more than 50.
Afghan authorities condemned Sunday’s attack in the city of Firozkuh in Ghor province, saying that most of the victims were civilians. The powerful explosion also damaged nearby government buildings..
The head of the provincial hospital, Mohammad Omer Lalzad, told Voice of America that “several of the wounded are in critical condition.” Lalzade says he expects the death toll to rise.
No group claimed responsibility for the bombing, but Afghan Interior Ministry blamed Taliban fighters for it.
Acting U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan Ross Wilson condemns attack.
“Innocent Afghans were killed again today by a senseless bombing in Ferozkukh in Ghor province. This destruction and bloodshed must stop. Afghans deserve to live in peace, ”Ross Wilson tweeted.
Breach of agreement
Meanwhile, the Taliban on Sunday accused the US military of violating the February peace agreement between the parties, which allegedly resulted in “excessive air strikes” in Taliban-controlled Helmand province and elsewhere..
Islamist Taliban spokesman Muhammad Yusuf Ahmadi said an agreement signed in the Qatari capital of Doha on February 29 prohibits US forces from launching airstrikes in areas that are not war zones..
“The entire content of the agreement between the United States and the Islamic Emirate (Taliban) is unambiguous, but the other side has repeatedly violated its obligations and commits provocative actions, carrying out bombing outside the war zones,” Ahmadi said..
“We categorically reject Taliban claims that the United States violated the US-Taliban agreement. Air strikes in Helmand and Farah provinces have been and are being carried out solely to protect the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces, which are under attack by the Taliban, ”said Colonel Sonny Leggett, US military spokesman for Afghanistan..
According to him, the strikes do not violate the agreement between the United States and the Taliban and correlate with the mutual understanding between Washington and Kabul..
“The world has witnessed Taliban offensives in Helmand – attacks that have injured thousands of innocent Afghan civilians or forced them to flee their homes. We reiterate our call to all parties to reduce violence to enable the political process to be strengthened, ”Leggett said..
Last week, the Taliban launched massive offensives in Helmand, seizing territory in and around the provincial capital, Lashkar Gah, and blocking roads to the city..
A few days ago, the US military reported that it was striking Taliban positions in support of Afghan security forces to repel a rebel offensive in Helmand..
General Scott Miller, commander of US forces in Afghanistan, defended the strikes, saying they were in line with the February deal. He called on the Taliban to reduce violence in the country.
These accusations threaten to disrupt peace talks between the Taliban and Afghan government officials in Doha..
The intra-Afghan negotiations, provided for by the agreement between the US and the Taliban, are aimed at finding a mechanism for the division of political power between the rival parties in Afghanistan to end the war and move towards the complete withdrawal of US and coalition troops from Afghanistan by May 2021..
US special envoy for Afghanistan Zalmay Khalilzad said Thursday that his delegation and Taliban leaders have agreed to take measures to reduce violence in line with their peace agreement. Khalilzad did not provide details, but expressed hope that violence will subside in the coming days..